Sunday, April 6, 2008

I'd love to, but I gotta go to work.










Hi all,



This is aweful! For about a year now my hospital has been designated a "stroke center" which means that if someone has a stroke, we can attempt to treat them. That is, IF they are brought to us within a 8 hour period.

About two weeks ago we were asked to perform a cerebral angio on a guy who had a stroke the night before. They brought him to us on a stretcher. He was about 50 years old, pale and really weak on his right side. He had slurred speach and an obvious facial droop. Poor guy. We did the angio and sure enough we found that he had a block artery in his brain. Unfortunately we could not treat him. Too much time had passed.


While getting him off the table, I asked him when the symptoms started. He told me the night before. I asked him why he didn't come to the hospital at that time. His answer floored me.

"Well, my girlfriend WAS gonna bring me but she had to git ta werk"

I was stunned! So I said,"What about calling 911?" He answered, "Nahh, SHE figured that she could just take me in the mornin' after she gits off werk."

I set him in the hall while waiting for his transporter show and take him back to his room. The transporter arrived with the patient's girlfriend. She was 27!! She was missing a couple O' teeth!!! I believe that she was really familiar with cigarettes. Oh and of course she was blonde. From a bottle no doubt. I never found out where she worked. I hope she makes lots of money. For his sake. I felt bad for everyone.

No comments: