Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hand over that kidney, stupid!!











Hello again. I welcome you back with a brand new story. I thought this one was a sweet story of how loving a family can be. Recently, I met a 55 year old woman who's kidneys had failed. Both of them. The patients name was Milly but for this story I will call her Jane. She had come to us so that we could insert a perm cath that would allow her to have dialysis and not die. Her doctor's plan was for her to stay on dialysis until they could find a kidney donor that would match. In the meantime the kidney transplant people/ team tested her whole family, looking for a match. As luck would have it, her brother was a perfect match. When I met Jane and she told me her story I was very happy for her and I told her so. I was all,"Good for you" and "How about that" and "Way to go" and of course, "Woo hoo!" But she didn't seem too thrilled. So I said onto her,"You don't seem too excited about this." Her answer was weird. Jane said to me,"Well, it IS great that my brother is a match and is willing to give me one of his kidneys but....there's a catch." She paused. "See my brother Dale (Harvey) is an alcoholic and he just found out that his liver is failing and....well....he wants to make a deal. He'll give me a kidney if I give him part of my liver." I was speechless. Yeah, me...speechless. It was weird. What do you say to that? I asked her what she was going to do. She said,"Well its not MY fault that he wrecked his liver....I think that I will just go to him and say, 'Dale, YOU broke your liver and that's YOUR fault, now give me that kidney! You jerk'. " I asked her if she thought that might work. She said onto me," Well Dale IS the stupid one in the family. He will do whatever we tell him to do!" All I could do was wish her luck.


Take care of your livers. Both of them. I mean your kidneys. Bye.

No comments: